Monday, December 14, 2009
The Equatorial Bulge exists mainly on the (Plain?) Continents, and covers a Lesser Latitude Band for Ocean Basins
EB shrinks on the Floor of the Pacific Basin
Above Google photo shows that the Equatorial Bulge gradually moves southward (scanning the North Pacific), as the transform creating shear between it and the Crust to the north shears the Pacific Basin. This was previously noticed, when analyzing the contact between the Basin and Range Province, B&R, and entities near the Snake River plain. The Yellowstone Rhyolite Track is created by this wedged opening (Thermal expansion of a rising extrusion) between B&R and the rotating Oregon cell- due to the conflict in rotation velocity (there is a large difference in diameter of cells, so that one is traveling much faster than the other). This EB shrinking west across the Pacific Ocean is created by the slower movement above the MANTLE, FOR CRUST IN LATITUDES WHICH HAVE NO BULGE. EB moves relatively to the west (seen as an apparent movement north of 40N to the east) because of tidal friction with the Moon, which slows the Earth by 24 seconds, each million years (6 nautical miles along the Equator, and The BULGE SLOWS MORE DUE TO THE GREATER INFLUENCE FROM TIDAL FRICTION, THAN NON-BULGE). A DIAGRAMMATICAL VIEW OF THE REGION SOUTH OF EB IS SHOWN BELOW, TO EMPHASIZE THE DRASTIC STRUCTURAL CHANGES OCCURRING NEAR IT:
OREGON STATE IS SHOWN BELOW TO INDICATE IMPORTANT CHANGES RESULTING FROM THE SHEAR AND DISPLACEMENT OCCURING ALONG 40N LATITUDE:
Reducing the Oregon movements to a DIAGRAM makes the presentation simpler:
The Crust under Ocean Basins is thinner than that for the continents, because of its higher density, and evidently the Bulge occurs over a narrower Latitude Band. This may not have been previously noticed, since the continents would have been the regions where the Bulge was measured. The continents are above sea level, consequently have a Bulge for that reason (as well as for the larger density in basalt ocean floor rocks), whereas the oceans have several kilometers depth of sea water instead.
This is presented with a view of vertical rotation under the continent (reorganized SUBDUCTION):
This may be analyzed from a photo of the CA-NV-OR 3 state view: Below Figure reduces the NW USA to a Diagram, where the important features are emphasized (this is not to scale, but shows the various contrasting projections):
Notice the following FEATURES:
1. The horizontal cylinders of vertical rotation have larger diameters to the north. This is inferred from the further-out-to-sea RIFT TO THE NORTH, IN THE PACIFIC BASIN;
2. The Cascades and NW WA features are based deeper to the north (BECAUSE OF THE LARGER DIAMETER CELL THERE- MT. LASSEN, CA IS WITHIN THE 320 KM. SHEAR ZONE, AND SHOULD BE THE SHALLOWEST VOLCANO- RESEARCHERS SHOLD CHECK THIS!), allowing the Olympic Montains to ride upward- almost horizontally;
3. The MANTLE MOVES EASTWARD, SLIGHTLY FASTER THAN THE CRUST, HENCE DRAGS THE HORIZONTAL CYLINDERS CCW- LOOKING NORTH. This is exaggerated for the larger diameter cylinders and helps create the Rhyolite Track at the border of ID, NV, and OR;
4. The ZONE OF SHEAR CREATED BY THE FASTER-MOVING SEGMENT NORTH OF 40N IS DEFINED BY THE ZONE BETWEEN 40N AND THE NEXT RIFT TO THE NORTH. This is some 320 km, and from my RULE FOR SHEAR ZONES OF 1/100-200:1 WIDTH of shear (compared to diameter), MAKES THE ROTATING CELL UNDER INVESTIGATION (THE CIRCULAR RING, WHICH IS THE N. BOUNDARY OF EB) ABOUT 20,000 MILES OR MORE, in diameter- ALMOST THE CIRCUMFERENCE OF THE EARTH;
5. The vertically-rotating horizontal cells, which create the Cascades and help initiate the Rhyolite Track across ID are working in concert with an independent force- Coriolis- and are due mainly by the shear developed by the edge of the Equatorial Bulge, EB (THIS IS THE ZONE OF WIDTH OR 320 KM); and,
6. The base of Cascade Vulcanism is deeper to the north, and this can be checked by EARTHQUAKE DATA.
To be continued, as we get more input from cases AROUND THE WORLD!