BELOW IS A GOOGLE PHOTO, WHICH I FOUND WHILE SEARCHING FOR THE PERMIAN-TRIASSIC STRIKE IN THE INDIAN OCEAN (WHICH PRODUCED THE PTr EXTINCTIONS). IT TURNS OUT THAT THE ANTIPODAL FLOOD BASALTS WERE IN BRITISH COLUMBIA, CANADA, AND OF TERTIARY AGE. CONSEQUENTLY THEY BELONG TO THE EOCENE-OLIGOCENE, EO STRIKE OF 41 M.Y. AGE. I HAD BEEN SEARCHING FOR THIS STRIKE CRATER ALSO, SINCE IT HAS INITIATED THE NEARBY ROTATION BY 45 DEGREES OF THE OLYMPIC MOUNTAINS. THIS WAS SERENDIPIDY! SINCE IT FITS HARMONIOUSLY WITH THE CCW ROTATION OF MT. OLYMPUS (BC ROTATIONS BEING CW AS HAS BEEN FOUND BY FIELD GEOLOGISTS, INCLUDING MY OWN RESEARCH ON THE DARRINGTON-DEVIL MOUNTAIN FAULT AT THE NORTH PART OF PUGET SOUND AND WHIDBEY ISLAND).
THIS IS SHOWN FROM ANOTHER PERSPECTIVE: THE OLYMPICS ARE NOTED TO ROTATE CCW, AND I HAD ASSUMED THAT THIS WAS DUE TO REBOUND. THIS IS INDEED TRUE, BUT MAY BE MINOR COMPARED TO THE EO STRIKE-INDUCED MOVEMENTS. BELOW ONE CAN SEE THAT THE ROTATION AGREES HARMONIOUSLY WITH THAT NORTH OF THE CANADIAN BORDER (CW VS. CCW, LIKE TWO GEARS MESHING).
FLOOD BASALTS ASSOCIATED WITH THE ASTEROID STRIKE IN THE INDIAN OCEAN AND IN CANADA ARE SHOWN BELOW. BUT FIRST, LOOK AT THE ACTIVITY ASSOCIATED WITH THE EO STRIKE OFFSHORE NW USA AND BRITISH COLLUMBIA:
A review of my requirements for the validity of asteroid strikes, requires that they have:
a. Flood Basalts at the antipode;
b. Fragmentation of islands near the crater site;
c. Spiraling of an uplift at the antipode;
e. A ring of siltation and other disturbances at the crater site; and,
f. Radio-dating of known extrusives at the antipode- ALL must be found TO BE SIGNIFICANT. What was found from the literature indicated that the age of the Flood Basalts in British Columbia were Tertiary in age, the various disturbances at the suspect crater were likely created by fragments of the EO strike, and the spiral of BC and its associated counter-spiral of the Olympic Mountains was of insufficient size for the Major Strike at the PTr boundary.
Further, I had already solved the case of the ZION NP and adjacent Grass Valley rotations- which were very similar to the circumstance of the British Columbia-Olympic rotations (both rotating in harmony with each other- CW vs. CCW in both cases. Although the scale of ZNP- Grass Valley is smaller than that of British Columbia-Olympics, the overall appearance is similar. The EO strike had a larger diameter than the one at ZNP, and would create a larger anomaly.
Faint portrayal of the original CCW rotation and subsequent CW while sinking (under the weight of the ICE AGE, among other entities) is expected to be near the age of the Tertiary uplift and subsidence, for the BC province.
I don’t have much confidence in all this, since I have never attempted to salvage information from the Crust which has this age. I have worked with features at Hf and nearby, which are of the age of a few million years, but I suspect that erosion, superseding events, and weathering take their toll on the continental crust- such as to “en-faint-ize” the traces. However, under ocean water, this is not a problem; the shear marks (transforms), rifts, and arcuate arrangement of extrusives are well-preserved. Further, I am too familiar with the Puget Sound and its many movements to try to find the original CCW uplift traces of the region. But there is one feature, which allows an assessment- the movement of land mass westward, due to TIDAL SHOVE. This is about 2 km, as shown in Puget Sound, near Whidbey Islands, and I place below a Google Photo of the San Juan Islands (which are post-Mesozoic remnants of westward thrusting, along with the Darrington-Devil Mountain fault):
Notice in the above photo, that the movement or separation of the islands is about 2 km for the locations where there is little complication from Coriolis rotation or other dynamics. This is similar to that found near Whidbey Island, in the Hood Canal spread. This spread occurs with glacial till and other young covering, and I take it that the assessment is approximately correct. However, for the SJ islands, this has happened since the uplift of the Olympics (41 m.y.) and it appears that the separation is similar. This creates a new puzzle, where movement rate is 2 km/41 m.y. = .05 mm/yr. This is unacceptable, comparing all of the data I have accumulated for earth movements- due to EARTH TIDES. This makes it appear that the Olympics did not move SJ islands during the period before the ice age. There is another way of evaluating all this, and that is to view Mt Constitution- the tallest feature in all the islands, as it should move westward faster than any of the other islands. Again, the channel to the east of Orcas- which exhibits the mountain- separates the next eastward island by about the same distance. SJ islands are further from Mt. Olympus than is the Hood Canal, and the only tentative conclusion for the movement rate determination is that the Olympics are of such a small size and height that they indeed affect the movement of SJ only slightly.This presentation is lengthy and I will continually add to it over the next month. I find that each six months I have sufficient new findings to augment the previous reviews, and that I need to re-capitulate in order to update my understanding. STAY TUNED!
BELOW IS A PHOTO, WITH COMMENTS, WHICH IS ONE SCENARIO FOR THE LACK OF SIGNIFICANT MOVEMENT OF THE SAN JUAN ISLANDS, DUE TO THE RISE OF THE OLYMPICS. ASIDE FROM THE FACT THAT SJ IS FAR FROM THE RELATIVELY SMALL MOUNTAIN CHAIN (COMPARED TO VANCOUVER ISLAND), THE ICE AGE HAS CAUSED AN EASTWARD ROTATION OF THE ICE-COVERED EAST SIDE OF THE OLYMPICS- WHICH LATER WAS REVERSED BY REBOUND. THIS LEAVES A NET MOVEMENT OF 2 KM DUE TO VANCOUVER ISLAND MOVING NORTH AND WEST-WARD AWAY FROM PUGET SOUND:
SJ IS A COLECTION OF SEPARATE GEOLOGICAL REGIONS. ALTHOUGH DUE TO THRUSTING AND INTRUSION, THE VERTICAL ARRANGEMENT OF FORMATIONS IS NOT IN THE ORDER EXPECTED FOR A SIMPLE MOVENENT TO THE WEST. SAN JUAN SEGMENT HAS DEVONIAN LIMESTONES (WHICH WERE QUARRIED FOR LIME), AND IT IS RELATIVELY HIGHER IN THE COLUMN THAN CRETACEOUS ON ORCAS AND JURASSIC ON LOPEZ ISLAND. THIS ALL INDICATES THAT REVERSALS AND ROTATIONS OF THE VARIOUS FORMATIONS OCCURRED. NOTE THE INTRUSIONS BELOW:
Let’s review the Olympics rotation, using Google Earth for the “beeg Picture”. Below is a photo of the portion of the Olympics rotation, in which I have some confidence (ignoring rebound, later small asteroid strikes, and minor movements):
I have previously placed all of this in a MODEL, OR DIAGRAM, so that the largest features are presented:
My original is correct for the major features:
1. Subduction is shown as a vertical rotation of the coastal N-S region, with a high at the Siskiyou Mountains and a low at the Columbia River. Essentially, the EO strike has rotated BC CCW-dragging the region portraying the Cascade vulcanism eastward;
2. The Mantle drags the base of the region exhibiting vulcanism to the east. The Sierras move westward since they are not sufficiently deep to encounter the Mantle. Vulcanism ceases at the Canada border, since that is the region rotating horizontally (NOT VERTICALLY, AS WITH THE CASCADES). This adds some credence to the BC rotation- which has to be originally CCW, not that now- which is CW- and exhibited as a left-lateral fault in the north part of Whidbey Island- and where I have measured the movement in concrete slabs);
3. Both the Central valley and Willamette rivers flow away from the divide at the Siskiyou Mountains (tracing E-W), and this occurs because of the plunge of the vertically-rotating cell of Crust in both directions. The downward tilting northward from the Siskiyous occurs as a downward reaction to the tilt created by the antipodal rise in BC. Puget Sound represents a transition zone, where there is fragmentation of islands rather than tilt (at the junction of the BC antipode and termination of the Cascade vertical rotation);
4. There is a deepening of the base of the Cascades, as extrusion occurs to the north of the trend. This has several implications:
a. Vulcanism should be younger and have deeper earthquakes to the north. This seems to be true for Mt. St. Helen, Baker, and Rainier, but NOT FOR MT. LASSEN! Lassen is a boundary extrusion, and we will search for other dynamics there- such as that associated with SUTTER BUTTES, RHYOLITES PROGRESSING EASTWARD TO YELLOWSTONE, AND SHEAR AT 40N EB;
b.Mendocino-Cascades border region has irregular movement. This is seen by the path of the Rogue River, which I have found has some underground paths (under lava tubes with saw-tooth shear at the cover, that I have hiked over); and,
c. The Sierras are a shallow crust phenomenon, while subduction, slide over the continental shelf, and Cascade vulcanism are affected by drag by the Mantle (moving eastward, relative to the slower-moving crust); and,
5. The over-all implication is that a major strike- such as EO- affects a large region (the entire west coast of NA, from CA to Vancouver, to the Alaska panhandle. This probably has some influence on Death Valley, DV, but that is on the southern end of the vulcanism-less Sierras and interrupted by another strike at the 28 m.y. age. DV has two major movements: N-S and NW-SE, portrayed by the Armargosa and the Sierras. We will continue the field research there, with another outing at the end of the year. Incidentally, fossil research has produced evidence - presented by scientists from Oregon- that there occurred a 15 F drop after the EO strike (33m.y. reported). I have not investigated temperature-related matters; only MECHANICS movements and change with time underlie all of my work. I do get a hint that the SUN HAS INFLUENCE ON THE TRACE OF LINEAR ISLAND CHAINS IN THE PACIFIC OCEAN- WHICH CROSS THE EQUATOR, AND THEREFORE HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH CORIOLIS FORCE. I SAVE THIS THERMAL INFLUENCE FOR FUTURE INVESTIGATION, SINCE I WILL INCORPORATE THE EFFECT OF THE EARTH-MOON WOBBLE WITH THE SEASONS, THE YEARLY CHANGE OF SOLAR HEATING FROM NORTH TO SOUTH, AND THE RESULT OF MOON’S ANGLE TO THE ECLIPTIC BEING AT VARIANCE WITH THAT OF THE EARTH (5 VS. 23.5 DEGREES).
This presentation is lengthy and I will continually add to it over the next month. I find that each six months I have sufficient new findings to augment the previous reviews, and that I need to re-capitulate in order to update my understanding. STAY TUNED!
ONE PROOF OF CRUST-ONLY SHEAR, RIFTING, AND ROTATING, AND NOT MANTLE OR CORE CONJECTURE, IS SHOWN BELOW FOR THE INDIAN OCEAN. THE STRIKING PRESERVATION OF TRANSFORMS, THEIR DIVERSION BY THE KT STRIKE ANTIPODE, AND THE SHARPNESS OF IT ALL AFTER 65 M.Y. ASSERTS THAT THE DRAG OF THE INDIAN SUB-CONTINENT OVER THE ANTIPODE (WHILE EXTRUDING MASSIVE FLOOD BASALTS FROM THE CRUST, AND NOT FROM THE MANTLE) HAS LEFT DEFINITE EVIDENCE THAT THE MANTLE WAS NOT INVOLVED. OTHERWISE, THE TRANSFORMS WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN SO WELL PRESERVED ON THE OCEAN BOTTOM: